Re: learning gnus

From: Joost Diepenmaat
Subject: Re: learning gnus
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 00:04:14 +0100

Joost Diepenmaat <joost@zeekat.nl> writes:

> David Rod <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk> writes:
>
>> I believe that there used to be a tutorial about gnus at some website,
>> but this is no longer on the web.
>>
>> There appears to be a huge gap in the book market for gnus because there
>> are not any books about gnus ever written.  Such a book would assume
>> that another book about an introduction to emacs had already been read.

See below

>> I know vaguely that setq will change a variable but I really want a
>> cookbook because if I start messing around with things I will break
>> things without any knowledge about what I am breaking.
>>
>> Reading the info manual is a 2 week task!
>> Thanks for advice.  Will try (blindly).
>
> (setq) and lots of other stuff used in configuring emacs and gnus are
> emacs-lisp functions or macros.

To clarify: almost all emacs and gnus configuration files are
emacs-lisp /programs/, and gnus is AFAIK completely written in emacs
lisp itself. But as I indicated in my previous post, you only need a fairly
minimal knowledge of (emacs) lisp to configure the simpler options.

Plus you can use the "Customize" system for a lot of them.

M-x customize-group<RET>
gnus<RET>

Joost.