Re: How to reply on posts on gmane?

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: How to reply on posts on gmane?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 22:11:29 +0200

On Tue, May 27 2008, Seweryn Kokot wrote:

> I'm subscribed to many mailing lists by gmane. So far I have been
> replying to posts with 'F' (follow-up), but on some group someone
> asked me to reply to him directly and send cc to mailing list. I've
> done S W or S V and my message didn't show up on that mailing list.

When I do `S W' on your article, I get:

| To: Seweryn Kokot <s.kokot@po.opole.pl>
| Cc: info-gnus-english@gnu.org

I.e. on sending this message, Gnus will send two mails.  One to the
author (you) and one to the list info-gnus-english.

If you follow up via news (`F') to a Gmane group,
"gmane.emacs.gnus.user" is translated to "info-gnus-english@gnu.org"
on Gmane.org and the mail is sent from there.

So in principle, sending directly by mail should be less error-prone.
But the mail sent from Gmane probably uses a different Envelope From
than your direct mail.  Subscriber-only (or moderated) mailing lists
may decide based on the envelope From.  But I'm not sure.  Maybe
someone on gmane.dicuss (or the FAQ) knows more about it.

> It seems that people using mailinglists reply to senders and reply
> cc to lists.

Parse error.

> Could someone explain to me what to type to send my reply to newsgroup
> with gmane and cc to sender? Or is there a better way?

`F' plus `C-c C-t'?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,