Gnus silently fails to send imap messages when smtp blocked

From: Ross Laird
Subject: Gnus silently fails to send imap messages when smtp blocked
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 01:07:24 +0000 (UTC)

I think I have narrowed down a recurring problem I have with mails not getting
through. It seems that when I send emails from gnus from my university office
they do not get through. When I send them from home they do. I have concluded
(and am awaiting confirmation from tech support at the university) that smtp is
blocked. But gnus gives the nice "sending mail" notification anyway, leading me
to think that the mails have gone through. Thunderbird, I have just discovered,
halts and gives me a warning message. Is it possible to have gnus give a similar
warning, so that if I happen to be somewhere where sending is blocked I will get
a message about that?

Thanks.

Ross