Re: My first article with Gnus, eventually...

From: harven
Subject: Re: My first article with Gnus, eventually...
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:40:06 +0200

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

>   - I like when my summary buffer look like a 'salad fruit'. How can I
>     replace the current line cursor mark '=>' with nothing but instead
>     highlight the whole current line ?

The emacs wiki has some infos about gnus customization.
Highlighting the current line in summary buffer is explained there:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/HighlineAndGnus
Have a look at the CategoryGnus page on the wiki for more.

>   - Could someone share their buffer/group line formats which are well
>     suited for console mode usage ? Or is there a place which collect
>     some .gnus files as templates or examples.

>   - Sometimes I send email directly from the shell prompt:
>
>                  echo "A short line" | mail <address>
>
>     How can I do this with Gnus ?

You don't need gnus to send a message from emacs. Just type C-x m.
Some customization is needed however if you want to add attachments,
or specify your user-name and server. Have a look at the following page.
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/MessageMode

>   - When I tried to open a file or save an article from Gnus, the
>     default directory is always /usr/share/info which pretty
>     useless. How can I change this to setup the current directory Gnus
>     is running ?

It's a bit strange, I thought that ~/News was the default.
The default directory in which articles are saved is contained
in the variable gnus-article-save-directory.

It can be specified depending on the group you are browsing, e.g.

(setq gnus-parameters '(("imap.*\\|nndoc.*"
      (gnus-article-save-directory "~/my-saved-mail"))))

You can also set in which file you want the article to be saved,
depending on the content of the mail, e.g.

(setq gnus-split-methods '(
        ("^From:.*\\(alex\\|john\\)" "family")
        ("^Subject:.*\\(project\\|committee\\)" "work")))

You then will be offered to save mails sent by john in ~/my-saved-mail/family.