Re: My first article with Gnus, eventually...

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: My first article with Gnus, eventually...
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 10:56:16 +0200

harven <harven@free.fr> writes:

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>   - I like when my summary buffer look like a 'salad fruit'. How
>>   can I
>>     replace the current line cursor mark '=>' with nothing but
>>   instead
>>     highlight the whole current line ?
>
> The emacs wiki has some infos about gnus customization.
> Highlighting the current line in summary buffer is explained there:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/HighlineAndGnus
> Have a look at the CategoryGnus page on the wiki for more.

Great, that's what I was looking for.

Small nit, doing:

       ,----
       | (setq cursor-type nil)
       `----

doesn't have any effects: the cursor is still visible.

>>   - Could someone share their buffer/group line formats which are
>>   well
>>     suited for console mode usage ? Or is there a place which
>>   collect
>>     some .gnus files as templates or examples.
>
>>   - Sometimes I send email directly from the shell prompt:
>>
>>                  echo "A short line" | mail <address>
>>
>>     How can I do this with Gnus ?
>
> You don't need gnus to send a message from emacs. Just type C-x m.
> Some customization is needed however if you want to add attachments,
> or specify your user-name and server. Have a look at the following
> page.
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/MessageMode

Hmm, I don't think that answers the question. I wnat to send a message
from a shell. Emacs is not started.

>>   - When I tried to open a file or save an article from Gnus, the
>>     default directory is always /usr/share/info which pretty
>>     useless. How can I change this to setup the current directory
>>     Gnus
>>     is running ?
>
> It's a bit strange, I thought that ~/News was the default.

yes. Actually I noticed it happens when I have a *Info* buffer in my
emacs session. At Gnus start, my default directory is correct: it is
set to the directory where I started emacs. But after a short while,
when I browse into the *Info* buffer, the default directory used by
gnus is changed to /usr/share/info somehow.

Thanks

Francis