Re: A couple of questions...

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: A couple of questions...
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 03:56:24 +0200

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:44:20 +0100, Francis Moreau wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm still learning gnus and still have a couple of basic questions:
>
>   - How can I mark a whole thread as expirable. I tried to process
>     mark the whole thread and press 'E' but...

Hi Francis,

I often use `C-k' to kill the entire thread, but there are other ways
to mark and expire parts of a thread, or even the entire thread.

If you want to expire only the articles marked with the process mark,
you can use the `M-&' prefix.  Mark the articles first and then type
`M-& E' to expire all the process-marked articles.

A very useful key binding is also `T-#' which marks all the articles
of the current sub-thread with the process mark.  When combined with
the `M-& E' key binding, it provides a powerful command to expire only
parts of a large thread: `T-# M-& E'.

>     BTW, 'E' is not really convenient because after marking an article
>     it jumps to the next thread. Is it possible to change that so it
>     jumps to the next subthread if any ?

I'm not sure I understand what a sub-thread is in this context, so I'll
leave this one for someone with more Gnus and UI experience than me.

>   - How can I guess 'gnus-cite-[0-9]' meanings, that is when these
>     variables are actually used.

These are faces with various colors, and other font style options.  They
are commonly used as elements of the `gnus-cite-face-list'.  When quoted
material is displayed in an article buffer Gnus cycles through the list
of faces in `gnus-cite-face-list' as the nesting level of quotations
increases.

You can find out more about `gnus-cite-face-list' by reading its doc
string

    C-h v gnus-cite-face-list RET

and by looking it up in the index of the Gnus manual:

    C-h i m Gnus RET                    ; Fire up the Gnus manual
    i gnus-cite-face-list RET           ; Lookup variable in the Index.

>   - When I read an article (in the article buffer), I'd like long
>     lines that don't fit in one line to be split into several lines.
>     Currently the end of these lines are not displayed.

The default behavior of Emacs is to wrap long lines.  What you wrote
above seems to be the result of a local customization.

If you have customized the `truncate-lines' and you want to _keep_
this sort of customization for everything else but to disable it for
Gnus, you may have to explicitly reset its value to nil in article
buffers:

    (add-hook 'gnus-article-prepare-hook
      '(lambda ()
         (setq truncate-lines nil)))

FWIW, quickly toggling between truncated lines and wrapped lines is
something I often find useful, so I have the following in my ~/.emacs
file too:

    ;; Truncating of long lines is turned off by default, but I may
    ;; want to quickly toggle it back on with C-c t.
    (setq truncate-lines nil)
    (global-set-key "\C-ct" 'toggle-truncate-lines)

This way I can type `C-c t' to enter and leave truncate-lines mode.

Happy Gnus'ing :-)