SSL Connections (gmail)

From: Rupert Swarbrick
Subject: SSL Connections (gmail)
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 18:44:52 +0000

Hi there,

I'm a mostly content user of gnus, except for one minor niggle. I
connect to gmail's servers via imap using something like this:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "GMail"
                (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                (nnimap-server-port 993)
                (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.imap-authinfo")
                (nnimap-stream ssl))))

which works fine, but occasionally the ssl connection dies (I think),
but emacs/gnus doesn't notice and thus hangs. I'd like to know if
there's a way to tell gnus to forget about this connection and open a
new one.

I note that quitting and restarting gnus or waiting ~10 or 20 minutes
somehow invalidates or expires the connection and then a new one will be
successfully created, but I'd like to be able to "kill the connection"
myself and start again.

Also, does anyone know whether there's a timeout variable? It seems that
gnus will hang forever on such a connection until you hit C-g.

I did dig through the code a bit, but got lost and I don't really know
what I'm looking for. Can anyone help?

Rupert