Re: SSL Connections (gmail)

From: William Xu
Subject: Re: SSL Connections (gmail)
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 17:42:04 +0800

Rupert Swarbrick <rswarbrick@gmail.com> writes:

> I note that quitting and restarting gnus or waiting ~10 or 20 minutes
> somehow invalidates or expires the connection and then a new one will be
> successfully created, but I'd like to be able to "kill the connection"
> myself and start again.

Goto the *Server* buffer, to close a server:

,----
| C runs the command gnus-server-close-server
|   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-srvr.el'.
| It is bound to C, <menu-bar> <Connections> <Close>.
| (gnus-server-close-server server)
|
| Close server.
`----

then to start a server manually:

,----

`----

> Also, does anyone know whether there's a timeout variable? It seems that
> gnus will hang forever on such a connection until you hit C-g.

I don't know.  Maybe you can config gnus to fetch mails periodly using
gnus daemon, so as to keep the connection alive.

Alternatively, you might try gnus agent (info "(gnus)Gnus Unplugged"),
which i'm using myself.

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org