Re: possible documentation bug (3.8 Limiting)

From: Allan Gottlieb
Subject: Re: possible documentation bug (3.8 Limiting)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 18:38:51 -0500

At Sat, 17 Jan 2009 13:09:12 -0800
mazieres-amfuht9hpz7kr78jhria45x2ki@temporary-address.scs.stanford.edu wrote:

> I think what's confusing is the term "limiting commands" without a
> definition.  For example, Initially I couldn't understand why "/ T"
> didn't restrict the view to the current thread (because it actually
> expands to thread, so you have to run "/ n / T" to limit to current
> thread).  Similarly "/ w" doesn't intuitively limit.
>
> The difference with /N and /o is that they fetch articles from the
> server.  So instead of saying commands "are/are not limiting commands",
> maybe consider them all limiting commands like this:
>
>     Limiting commands restrict or expand the subset of articles visible
>     in the summary buffer.  These limiting commands don't query the
>     server for additional articles and can only display articles already
>     fetched from the server:
>
>       /h, etc....
>
>     The following limiting commands can fetch additional articles to
>     display from the server:
>
>       /N, /o, etc.

Since most limiting commands do restrict (i.e., do not expand) and only
a few (2?) fetch article how about

    Limiting commands restrict (or expand) the subset of articles
    visible in the summary buffer.  Most limiting commands don't query
    the server for additional articles and can only display articles
    already fetched from the server.  Those few that do query the server
    are listed at the end.

      /h, etc....

    The following limiting commands can fetch additional articles to
    display from the server:

      /N, /o, etc.

allan