Re: emacsclient and gnus

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: emacsclient and gnus
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:16:14 -0600

> Hi Harry,
>
>> Start emacs -f gnus on my main desktop (also starts the server).
>>
>> Later connect to that session from a remote with emacsclient.
>>
>> emacsclient -c <RET>
>>
>> C-x b *Group* <RET> Now I'm in the gnus session.  How do I leave it
>> without shutting down the server too.
>
> `C-x 5 0' should do the trick.

Ahh yes it does.

>> Just switching out of the buffer and C-x C-c kills the emacsclient
>> terminal alright but it also kills the gnus session on the server.
>
> With emacs 23 `C-x C-c' is supposed to do the right thing, e.g. leave
> the server running.  Maybe your snapshot is outdated?  For me it just
> works...

I miss spoke earlier in the thread and said closing the emacsclient
session `killed the server too' but I really meant what you quote just
above.. that it kills the gnus session on the server.

So no, my emacs-23 version is fairly recent, I just wasn't using the right
command to leave the gnus session.
Using the one you suggested C-x 5 0, and C-x C-s does the right thing.

I see that information in the documentation now... I'd seen it before
too but somehow didn't connect it to leaving a gnus session.

If you just change buffers (C-x b) out of gnus then C-x C-s, it does kill gnus
on the server, but that makes sense when I thought about it a little
more.

Thanks