Re: emacsclient and gnus

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: emacsclient and gnus
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:17:40 +0100

Hi Harry,

>> C-x C-c runs the command save-buffers-kill-terminal, which is an
>> interactive compiled Lisp function in `files.el'.
>
> I'm saying if I start emacs and then gnus... and then say M-x
> server-start <ret>
>
> Then if I ssh in from a remote... and type emacsclient -c
>
> Then switch into the gnus buffers... If I then say C-x C-s it will
> offer to close gnus.  Not what I want... I want to close the
> emacsclient terminal without closing gnus.

I think most of the confusion in this thread is that you always write
`C-x C-s' and not `C-x C-c'.  Is that really what you type?  Or did you
rebind `C-x C-s' to do something different from `save-buffer'?

If I got you correctly you say that `C-x C-c' closes gnus, but lets the
emacs server alive, so you can reconnect with emacsclient and then gnus
is really closed.  If that's true, I think it's really strange, and I'd
suggest that you describe that on the gnus mailing list (ding@gnus.org).
IMHO `C-x C-c' shouldn't behave different when inside gnus buffers than
inside any other buffer.

> If I say C-x 5-0 then that is what happens.

That's save in every situation. ;-)

Bye,
Tassilo