Newbie wannabe seeking emacs facts

From: Marshall Price
Subject: Newbie wannabe seeking emacs facts
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 23:11:57 -0400

I have a Windows XP laptop and installed Cygwin hoping to run tin to give me a text-based, window-free, full-screen newsreader.

  I failed.

But out of curiosity, I installed emacs, but discovered it to be much to complicated even to begin to understand.

Would anybody care to raise or lower my hopes of getting what I'd like, an 80-character-wide, 24-line high, window-free text-based newsreader, hopefully with two lines of reminders at the bottom showing what individual keystrokes do?

And will I have to use emacs, and if so, can I get just the facts I need to get gnus running and nothing else?

--
Marshall Price of Miami
marshallprice@att.net