nnmail/maildir loosing some of the received mails

From: David Kuehling
Subject: nnmail/maildir loosing some of the received mails
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 19:59:27 -0000

Hi,

I'm a very long-time users of Emacs-Gnus, mostly for doing Mail and
recently for reading news.

I have more than one mail account with various server-side filter rules
that forward mails between the accounts.  So there is some redundancy,
where email should be received by multiple accounts.

In this setup I recently noticed that mails went missing when retrived
via Gnus account.  Today I stumbled over more than 5 mails that were
forwarded to my cell-phone, but never showed up in Gnus.  Doing some
'rgrep' for the mail subjects, I found all the mails in in the correct
maildir directory, and in a strangely named Incoming13078phb, however
the '.overview' file of the maildir does not list the corresponding
mails.

So somehow the maildir got corrupted!

I'm accessing my mail setup both with Emacs 23.2.1 and 23.1.1 (i.e. two
computers sharing a common NFS home).

Mail is retrieved via nnmail, and distributed to many folders via
nnmail-split.

Can anybody shed some light under which circumstances this kind of
corruption can occur?  Is there anything I can do to automatically
detect these problems in the future?  Can I somehow regenerate the
.overview file?

It's a little shocking to suddenly realize that maybe significant
amounts of mail have been lost in the past.  I'd greately appreciate any
help.

cheers,

David