Re: nnmail/maildir loosing some of the received mails

From: David Kuehling
Subject: Re: nnmail/maildir loosing some of the received mails
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 19:59:28 -0000

[.]
> Doing some 'rgrep' for the mail subjects, I found all the mails in in
> the correct maildir directory, and in a strangely named
> Incoming13078phb, however the '.overview' file of the maildir does not
> list the corresponding mails.

> So somehow the maildir got corrupted!

[..]

> Can anybody shed some light under which circumstances this kind of
> corruption can occur?  Is there anything I can do to automatically
> detect these problems in the future?  Can I somehow regenerate the
> .overview file?

Replying to myself After RTFMing, Googeling and some M-x apropos
searches:

looks like M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases did the job of regenerating
all the '.overview' index files (and was pretty quick, too, thought I'd
have to wait for hours given the number of mails that accumulated over
time).

I'm now considering setting nnml-nov-is-evil to prevent such problems in
the future.

cheers,

David