Re: How to display read articles?

From: Aidan Gauland
Subject: Re: How to display read articles?
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:13:07 -0000

Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> writes:

> I just decided to switch to Gnus for my news/mail experience, and I'm
> learning how to do different things with it. One thing that I have not
> managed to do (forgive me, it's pretty late here) is to view read
> articles in the summary buffer.
>
> I mean: after reading some articles, I exit the summary buffer, then
> later on I enter the group again, and the read articles are gone. I know
> that they are not deleted, and I've trying to find the option to let me
> see all the messages in a group (regardless of whether they had been
> read or not), but could not find it in the documentation. I'm sure it is
> somewhere in there, but the number of available options in Gnus is just
> overwhelming....

I switched to Gnus recently and had a similar problem, but it was with
groups disappearing from the *Group* buffer.  Adding the following line
to my gnus.el file fixed this.

(setq gnus-permanently-visible-groups ".*")

I think you may be using Gnus improperly (for lack of a better word).
If you're only reading *some* messages in a group and then leaving with
some messages still unread, then only those messages will show up when
you reenter the group.  When you've read all messages of interest, you
should "catchup" by typing 'c'.  That will mark all unread messages as
read and when you reenter the group (so long as there are no new
messages), Gnus will show *all* messages (first asking you how many to
show, if there are over a certain number of articles).

Hope this helps,
Aidan Gauland