gnus, gmail and 2 factor authentication not working

From: Jonathan Wheelhouse
Subject: gnus, gmail and 2 factor authentication not working
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 13:34:38 +1000

Hi

I have successfully been accessing my gmail account via IMAP from GNUS.
Recently, however I enabled 2 factor authentication on my gmail account
after reading
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/04/make-your-email-hacker-proof.html
.

With 2 factor authentication you can get gmail to generate an
application specific password.  So I did that for GNUS.  I entered this
password into ~/.imap-authinfo file.  Here are the relevant bits of the
.gnus and .imap-authinfo files.

;; .gnus file relevant bit
;; ... gmail via imap
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
                                                     (nnimap-address
"imap.gmail.com")
                                                     (nnimap-server-port 993)
                                                     (nnimap-authinfo-file
"~/.imap-authinfo")
                                                     (nnimap-stream ssl)))
(setq imap-ssl-program "openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect %s:%p")
(setq imap-log t)

;; .imap-authinfo file.  <password> is replaced by the gmail generated password
machine imap.gmail.com login jonathan.wheelhouse@gmail.com password <password>
port 993

However, I cannot now access gmail via GNUS.

The message I get is this:

Warning: Opening nnimap server on gmail...failed: NO (ALERT)
Application-specific password required:
http://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?answer=185833
(Failure);

Any ideas on how to fix this?