Re: Transition to Gnus for Mail- Auto Import of <<many>> Babyl Files? nn

From: DiagonalArg
Subject: Re: Transition to Gnus for Mail- Auto Import of <<many>> Babyl Files? nneething?
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 06:22:26 +0000 (UTC)

DiagonalArg <gmane.boxy <at> xoxy.net> writes:

> I'm transitioning my email client to gnus.  I have a file hierarchy of over
> 4500 babyl files from RMAIL (emacs22) that I use for sorting mail.  I am
> wondering,

> (1) I see I can use "B m" to move a mail from the selected group to
> another, is there a way to move a mail from the selected group to a babyl
> file?

Ok, so I discovered that it's possible to output to a file using O-o.  This
applies the default article saver, which is set in: gnus-default-article-saver.

Choices for this are:
   gnus-summary-save-in-rmail and gnus-summary-save-in-mbox.
Since emacs 23, these two are identical.  Anyone have thoughts on how I
might find/create a gnus-summary-save-in-babyl?

> (2) If the answer to (1) is "No", is there some way to automate the import
> of that directory hierarchy as a (long) list of zombified groups?

I also discovered that it's possible to import a directory hierarchy using the
select method, nneething.  I am able to create such a group using G-D, but
fail to be able to do it from .gnus using:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnbabyl "Inbox"
                                               (nnbabyl-get-new-mail nil))
                                      (nneething "/home/uname/BABYL"
                                                 (nneething-include-files
".*"))))

The docs are unclear about where to put the location of the directory to be
read.  Does anyone have thoughts on how to make this work?

Finally, when I use G-D to define the group, it recognizes all files, but does
not understand that the babyl files contain messages.  Instead it treats the
whole  file as one message.  This is apparently also the case with mbox
files, at least back in 2002, as one person has mentioned, here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.user/798

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this might be made to work?

Thanks!
/DA