Re: How to search a recently read mail

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: How to search a recently read mail
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:21:09 +0200

F. Durand <fdur559@gmail.com> writes:

> So do you guys know how to do that ? Or am i the only one searching
> into recently read mail ?

I do that frequently using nnir on IMAP accounts.  Most IMAP servers
index at least the subjects, to, and from headers of all messages, so
searches like

  C-u G G Gnus RET subject RET

will give me all messages containing Gnus in the subject in a fraction
of a second (ok, maybe it's a second).

And you can even use the IMAP search command language directly.  E.g.,
this would give me all messages about Gnus related messages I've sent to
or got from Hugo in the period between 17th August 2011 and 1st June
2012.

  C-u G G SUBJECT "Gnus"
          (OR FROM "hugo@some.domain"
              TO   "hugo@some.domain")
          SINCE  "17-Aug-2011"
          BEFORE "01-Jun-2012"
  RET imap RET

It seems, `M-x gnus-group-make-nnir-group' happens to work also in
summary buffers.  It's just not bound to a key by default.

Bye,
Tassilo