Re: Unicode(?) / display problems

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Unicode(?) / display problems
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 08:57:59 +0200

Gary <listgj-gnus@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

>> Could you try to reproduce the issue with emacs in some other
>> terminal emulator instead of the one you are currently using?
>
> Interesting. Yes, I did try it, and yes, it seemed to work okay. It
> may be something to do with my setup, or it may be mintty.

I think it looks like a problem with mintty.

>> And what happens when you put the "odd" characters into some file and
>> find that from within emacs?  Also garbage?  And what if you cat the
>> file, or open it with less?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean... Oh. You mean somehow export the article
> to a file, and then visiting that file with emacs?

Yes, exactly that.  You can do that when you open the article with gnus
and then do `O f ~/the-article.txt RET'.

And also you might want to test it without emacs using

  $ less the-article.txt

and

  $ cat the-article.txt

on the command line.  If the terminal emulator has strange display
issues afterwards, then it's its fault.

Bye,
Tassilo