Re: How to search emails in Gnus?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: How to search emails in Gnus?
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 09:11:24 +0200

Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> writes:

Hi Marius,

>>   C-u G G ON &quot;17-Aug-2011&quot; RET imap RET
>>           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> The underlined thingy is the actual search query.  ON &lt;date&gt;
>> gives you all messages registered at the imap server at that date.
>> For more IMAP search capabilities, have a look at the spec:
>>
>>   http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1730#section-6.4.4
>
> One more question: How do you know how the date format looks like?
> Apparently it matters, I tried "2012-08-17" (international date
> format) and it didn't work.

Yes, that's a bit annoying.  IMAP doesn't specify the date format on its
own (AFAICS), but if references the standard email spec at several
places.  That defines the date format here:

But according to that spec it should by "17 Aug 2012" which doesn't work
for me.  I have to replace the spaces with hyphens.  Well, in the end
googling for "imap search examples" shows you the right syntax.

BTW, I accidentally referenced an obsole spec.  The current version is
here:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2060#section-6.4.4

Bye,
Tassilo