Re: gnus-summary-line-format when using non-fixed width font?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: gnus-summary-line-format when using non-fixed width font?
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 19:56:50 +0200

moabi2000 <moabi2000@gmail.com> writes:

> Using a non-monospaced font makes reading mail and news far easier.

That's very subjective, but if it is for you it's fine with me. :-)

> However, it makes the summary line look awful since you can't just pad
> with spaces to make the date, author and subject line up. The arrows
> used for threads don't line up either.
>
> Is there any way to make things line up in the summary buffer when
> using a non-monospace font?

Sure.  All things that should line up should be specified first in the
summary line format using a monospaced font, and all other things should
be appended with whatever font you prefer.

For example, take that one:

Every format spec surrounded by %1{...} will be fontified using the
gnus-face-1 face, and everything surrounded by %2{...} with gnus-face-2.
You may use as many different faces as you like.

Then you can M-x customize-face RET gnus-face-1 RET to some monospaced
font, and gnus-face-2 used for the subject of messages to some

Bye,
Tassilo