Re: imap acl editing broken

From: Enrico Scholz
Subject: Re: imap acl editing broken
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 16:17:11 +0200

>> IMAP ACLs are described in http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4314 and their
>> modification worked already with previous gnus versions.
>
> Hm...  I skimmed the first section of the RFC, and it still didn't tell
> me what ACLs are.  >"?

You can give other people permissions on your imap folders.  E.g. you
can say, that 'INBOX.project.foo' can be read (beside yourself) by user
'foo' and that user 'boss' can delete mails there.

See e.g. [1] for some more details about supported permissions.

I use it in kerberos cross realm setups, to give myself access to my
mailbox from both realms (e.g. both 'ensc@REALM' and 'ensc@OTHER-REALM'
have admin/all rights on the mailbox).

In some customer setup, we create shared mailboxes, so that non personalized
mails (e.g. to 'service@example.com' or 'info@example.com') are delivered to
those mailboxes which can be accessed by a group of people.

You can give also other people temporarily access to your mailbox
(e.g. during vacation).

>> Unfortunately, the gnus version is both v5.13 in working and
>> non-working case, but the MUA (gnus v5.13 bundled with emacs-23.1 from
>> RHEL 6.4) I am writing the current message with, supports modification
>> of ACLs. but other MUAs (gnus v5.13 bundled with emacs-24.3 from
>> Fedora 19) fail with message above.
>
> Yes, nnimap was rewritten for Emacs 24, and the ACL stuff went AWOL
> because 1) I have no idea what it is and 2) nobody seemed to be using
> it.

ACL support was one of the killer features of gnus; I knew only some web
frontends (horde) and cli tools which support modification of acls.

ACLs are changed seldomly, but I do not want to miss them.

> You're the first person to mention it, and it's been gone a year...
>
> The code could be resurrected, of course, but it would have to be by
> someone who could test it.  Patches are welcome.

I can test it and can perhaps provide access to cyrus imap server.

Enrico

Footnotes:
[1]  http://oreilly.com/catalog/mimap/chapter/ch09.html "Table 9-2:
     Mailbox Access Rights"