Re: Spam despite spam header

From: Dmitrii Kashin
Subject: Re: Spam despite spam header
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:27:50 +0400

> Dmitrii Kashin <freehck@freehck.ru> writes:
>
>>> You mean like this?
>>>
>>> (setq nnmail-split-methods
>>>       '(("spam" "^X-Spam-Flag: YES")
>>>         ("mail.misc" "") ))
>>>
>>> I hope I won't get them in a directory called "spam",
>>> now!
>>
>> Can't you have it unsubscribed?
>
> I don't know. How would I do that, and what would it do?

By pressing 'u' in the group buffer.

>> Certainly, you can solve this problem another
>> way. What do you think about scoring?
>
> I never understood scoring. I know there is an entire
> chapter on that in the Gnus manual so I should probably
> look into it. But the groups I'm on: gnu.emacs.help,
> gnu.emacs.gnus, and some others - they don't carry that
> much traffic anyway. So I thought it would be overkill
> to implement scoring. But I don't know. I use a KILL
> file to get rid of trolls.

Gnus prefers to hide articles that doesn't seem to be
interesting. There's no difference between nntp groups and 'mail
groups'. You can use scoring in both. Score is a number you add to the
article to show its 'importance level'. If score is high article will be
bold. If it's low article will be marked as read automatically. If it's
too low then article will expire (will be hided at all).

>> And of course this is not a good practice to use gnus
>> for sorting your mail. It is very slow and
>> local-only.
>
> Like I said, I don't have those kinds of volumes so
> speed isn't an issue. I prefer to have my mails local
> on the disk - one mail per file, so I can search them
> with the Unix batch tools.

You decide. As I've already written: if I've foreseen such a pile of
correspondence I would not reorganize it later.