Re: When does gnus read .gnus.el variables

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: When does gnus read .gnus.el variables
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 00:55:54 +0100

Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

> this could be more of an elisp question rather than
> a gnus question

Well, Gnus is Elisp so that should be OK.

> Once I have gnus up and running, I want to modify my
> nnimap-split-fancy variable. Therefore, I evaluate a
> sexp with the new values, and change .gnus.el
> accordingly for future sessions. All works ok.
>
> When I quit gnus *without quitting* emacs, and then
> restart gnus again, nnimap-split-fancy stays with
> its initial value. Maybe it is no surprise that it
> is not reading .gnus.el again, but I wonder why my
> on-the-fly settings were also dropped.

What do you have as `gnus-init-file'? Do you really
have ~/.gnus.el and not plain ~/.gnus?

It says in the help -

    If a file with the `.el' or `.elc' suffixes
    exists, it will be read instead.

- so make sure there isn't any interference from other
files.

If you got that right, it gets worse. I don't have
"nnimap-split-fancy" so I can't confirm this, but in
principle you are not doing anything wrong. ~/.gnus
(or .el, or .elc) is read by Gnus on startup (i.e.,
Gnus and not Emacs startup) - you should be able to
verify this by putting for example

    (message "Gnus is starting")

in ~/.gnus (...) and then kill the *Group* buffer and
do (gnus). Then check the *Messages* if the message is
there.

If it doesn't show up it may be you have compiled the
file so Gnus uses that instead. In that case you
should recompile the file with the changes. Even so,
that should be the same situation when you restart
Emacs, so that shouldn't "help".

And: have you checked all other init files there is no
other mention of "nnimap-split-fancy"?

--
underground experts united