Re: When does gnus read .gnus.el variables

From: Alberto Luaces
Subject: Re: When does gnus read .gnus.el variables
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 20:22:22 +0100

> Alberto Luaces writes:

[...]

>> When I quit gnus *without quitting* emacs, and then restart gnus again,
>> nnimap-split-fancy stays with its initial value.
>
> Sound odd.
>
> What does C-h v nnimap-split-fancy say?
>
> Can you reproduce the problem??

Yes. C-h v nnimap-split-fancy says:

nnimap-split-fancy's value is (|
 ("list-id" ...))

that is, the values specified in ~/.gnus.el when emacs was started.

Later, I modified the file to have an updated nnimap-split-fancy
definition.  I place the point after nnimap-split-fancy and press C-x
C-e, so now C-h v shows the new value and everything works as expected.

When I quit gnus pressing q, and then restart it with M-x gnus, the
variable is restored to its original value, not the one in ~/.gnus.el,
which is the one I have just manually set.

Maybe there is something special about this variable since its help info
says it is a "server variable".

--
Alberto