Re: Gnus Multiple Roles

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Gnus Multiple Roles
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 10:45:50 +0800

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

>>> Wouldn't X-Message-SMTP-Method be easier?
>>
>> To be honest, I don't really understand the difference. I use msmtp, so
>> the header stuff is unfamiliar to me. What's the difference in how they
>> work?
>
> X-Message-SMTP-Method is support "out of the box" and can be used to
> configure SMTP pretty effortlessly.  I haven't tried Gnus with external
> SMTP programs for eons, so I cannot speak towards msmtp.

Ah, interesting. Maybe it's time to let Gnus talk directly to the server
(though the msmtp hack also on that wiki page still works just fine).

That would mean relying entirely on posting styles, though, which is a
bit of pain because I really like being able to just hit "m" in the
*Group* buffer. It's never quite felt right to me that I still have to
compose messages "from" a group, with "C-u a". Anyway, not a great big
deal, either way.