Re: Imap ordering

From: Pietro
Subject: Re: Imap ordering
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 20:40:19 +0000

> On 01/29/16 04:23 AM, Pietro wrote:
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

>>> Can you tell us more precisely what you're seeing, vs. what you're
>>> expecting to see? By "most recently received first" do you meant the
>>> most recent at the bottom, or the top? We make no assumptions here!
>>>
>>> Then it would be good to see your values for `gnus-show-threads',
>>> `gnus-thread-sort-functions', and `gnus-article-sort-functions'.
>>>
>>> Yrs,
>>> Eric
>>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> Well it is hard to tell really, it just looks random. It looks like the
>> most recent ones are at the top, but among them there are some very old
>> emails, I am talking about one or two years old.
>>
>> I haven't configured anything manually so values should be set at their
>> default, is there a way to print them out so we can check ?
>>
>> Is it required to specify something in the configuration file to have
>> some sort of ordering ?
>>
>> I would like to have the same ordering a regular email reader as Outlook
>> or Gmail provides, chronologically order.
>
> Don't forget to copy to the list! Use "F" instead of "R" in Gnus.

Ops, I am sorry.

> So this might be a little difficult. First, and most useful for you, you
> can see both the value and the docstring for Emacs variables by typing
> "C-h v", then the name of the variable, and RET. That will show you what
> you've got.
>
> If you haven't changed the defaults, then `gnus-show-threads' should be
> "t", and `gnus-sort-thread-functions' should be
> (gnus-thread-sort-by-number).

Yes,'gnus-show-thread' is set to 't' and `gnus-sort-thread-functions' is
set to 'gnus-thread-sort-by-number'.

> In Gnus, that means you will see the newest messages at the *bottom* of
> the Summary buffer, and it also means that you won't see read messages
> at all.

I am comparing the Gnus' emails order against the web interface my
provider provides and they do not match. There some unread emails in the
web interface and I do see them as first emails, starting from the bottom
, in the Gnus interface; nevertheless Gnus shows me others email which
result as already read in the web interface.

If I have read an email using my web interface does it get "read" by Gnus as
well ?

> So when you say you're seeing two-year-old messages, I wonder if you're
> seeing them simply because they're unread? If they're read, they
> shouldn't show up at all.

At the beginning of the list there are a lot of very old messages marked
with an exclamation mark, very old, once it happened to find some of them
between the first messages, namely at the bottom.

I am getting lost in a glass of water really, Googling the problem a bit
more I found:

(setq gnus-parameters '((".*" (display . all)))
(setq gnus-thread-sort-functions
      '(gnus-thread-sort-by-number
        gnus-thread-sort-by-date))

This solves my problem even tough I am not fully aware of what I am
doing, especially the "display all" line. Where is the article number coming
from ?

> We still need more information!

Ask and I'll be given :-)
> Yours,