Re: IMAP - two accounts on one server

From: Loris Bennett
Subject: Re: IMAP - two accounts on one server
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 14:10:50 +0200

> "Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Many years ago I set Gnus up to read mail from a server via IMAP and
>> every thing has been working fine.  I now want to add a second account
>> on the same server[1].
>>
>> I have added a corresponding line to .authinfo, but there doesn't seem
>> to be a variable I could add to the select method to indicate which
>> account should be used.
>>
>> Currently I just don't see any extra folders from the second account and
>> they do not appear when I try to subscribe to additional folder.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Loris
>>
>> Footnotes:
>> [1]  To be honest, the accounts are not on the same server.  However,
>> the server address is the same in both cases.  Behind the scenes some
>> jiggery-pokery goes on to forward mail to a second server in the case of
>> the second account.
>
> You didn't mention adding the second server to
> `gnus-secondary-select-methods' -- that's the key step. Have you done
> that? Gnus won't know about the server until you put it there, and once
> it does know, it can handle the ~/.authinfo step by itself.

Sorry, I wasn't explicit enough.  I did realise that I needed another
entry in 'gnus-secondary-select-methods', but I just couldn't see how to
differentiate if from the existing one, given that I was using the
server address as the name of the entry, and this is the same for both
accounts.  Thus, Adam pointing out that the "Address" for the select
method can be any string, not just the server address, was very helpful.

Cheers,

Loris