Re: newbie question: trouble with mail splitting

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: newbie question: trouble with mail splitting
Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 22:46:44 +0200

Karl wrote:

> i'm happy to use gnus for reading and writing
> mails. Now i want to split mails, but i do
> not understand how it works.

The first thing I always ask when it comes to
mail splitting is what is the reason? Is it to
organize mails from different mailing lists?
Then, the answer is it is much better to
use Gmane which does all that for you, and more.

> here is my config, but it doesnt work.
> All mail goes to mail.misc. Does anyone knows
> what to do?

Not me, be start small is a good ... start.
Try just splitting one type of mail to
one group.

You can change the rules, then go to a mail in
a Summary buffer and press `B q'. Gnus will
then tell its destination, would it arrive
today or if you respooled it. If it tells you
a destination that isn't to your liking, that
means the rules are incorrect or not applied.

This is all I have, and it works great. Yes,
I said Gmane is better, and I have all that
(save for the rsmh-ooa) as Gmane groups.
But sometimes (rarely) stuff find their way to
my mail.misc anyway, that's why I have
a "mailing list out-of-action" group
(mail.mm-ooa) to get them away so I don't see
them twice.

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(
        ("mail.ml-ooa"
"\\(To\\|Cc\\):.*\\(help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org\\|ding@gnus.org\\|emacs-w3m@namazu.org\\|emacs-devel@gnu.org\\|gmane-discuss@quimby.gnus.org\\|tex-live@tug.org\\|gnuplot-info@lists.sourceforge.net\\)")
        ("mail.ml-ooa"    "List-Id: <linux-rpi-kernel.lists.infradead.org>")
        ("mail.ml-ooa"    "List-Id: Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs.gnu.org>")
        ("mail.rsmh-ooa"  "From:.*\\(Tikan <tikan891@gmail.com>\\|RSMH\
Uppsala\\|info@verkstanrsmh.com\\)")
        ("mail.misc"      "")
      ))

If you use another backend, maybe it won't work
without some changes, but it could be a start
for examining how it would work using your
backend as well.

Good luck and HIH

--
underground experts united