Re: Gnus notification of replies to my articles

From: Richmond
Subject: Re: Gnus notification of replies to my articles
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 12:59:12 +0000

> On Thursday, 12 Mar 2020 at 09:23, Richmond wrote:
>> OK so the message-id I set (*richmond.example.com) was moved from
>> message-id to references, which breaks the thread on the news
>> server. But seems to work ok for email.
>
> I am not sure I understand what you are saying here.
>
> When you write an email (or post a news item), that email has a
> particular message ID.  If somebody responds to it, the original message
> ID goes into the references header and the response has its own message
> ID.  This provides a link between emails.

OK I am sending this by email to the mailing list, and I have set a
message-id on it which will be something like
*richmond.this-is-a-message-id.example.com but I am expecting that this
message id will be replaced with one from the mail system like
mailman.2516.1584004990.2412.info-gnus-english@gnu.org, but you won't
see that if you look at it in email I think, only if you look at the
news server at news.gnus.org. On there the original message-id will be
copied into references.

Time will tell...