Re: Expiring nnimap messages automatically

From: Nicolas Cavigneaux
Subject: Re: Expiring nnimap messages automatically
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2020 20:24:52 +0200

Hi Eric, thank a lot for your reply.

> I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like nnimap has its own server
> variable governing expiration/expunging: ‘nnimap-expunge’
>
> From the manual:
>
>      When to expunge deleted messages.  If ‘never’, deleted articles are
>      marked with the IMAP ‘\\Delete’ flag but not automatically
>      expunged.  If ‘immediately’, deleted articles are immediately
>      expunged (this requires the server to support the UID EXPUNGE
>      command).  If ‘on-exit’, deleted articles are flagged, and all
>      flagged articles are expunged when the group is closed.
>
>      For backwards compatibility, this variable may also be set to t or
>      nil.  If the server supports UID EXPUNGE, both t and nil are
>      equivalent to ‘immediately’.  If the server does not support UID
>      EXPUNGE nil is equivalent to ‘never’, while t will immediately
>      expunge ALL articles that are currently flagged as deleted (i.e.,
>      potentially not only the article that was just deleted).
>
> Does that help?

I just tried to set 'nnimap-expunge' to both 'on-exit and then
'immediate but it doesn't seems to do anything at all.

Every single doc or blog post I read about imap setting only talk about
'nnmail-expiry-wait' so I'm a bit confused. I don't think that everybody
missed the point and didn't realized that there mails were only hidden
not really deleted from the server (or moved to Trash).

I had some good hope when I saw your reply and this variable I didn't know
about :D but unfortunately it doesn't seems to be the answer.

Anyway than a lot for your time and help.
--
Nicolas Cavigneaux
http://www.bounga.org