Re: Mail source unreachable - continue yes/no?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Mail source unreachable - continue yes/no?
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 10:49:01 -0700

>> We create a few custom error symbols for backend errors, including mail
>> source failures, open-server failures, etc, and we put some
>> condition-cases handling those errors in `gnus-get-unread-articles'.
>
> This is called from nnmail-get-new-mail-1, though, which ignores errors
> on its own.  `gnus-get-unread-articles' also has error-ignoring
> capabilities and...

`nnmail-get-new-mail' is called from within `gnus-request-scan', and
there's no error ignoring around `gnus-request-scan' in
`gnus-get-unread-articles' -- is there? I can't see anything. I would
propose removing error handling from `nnmail-get-new-mail-1': if the
fetching of mail sources well and truly fails (and the user hits "no" to
give up on the process), it should just signal an error up the line.

>> They collect the errors, continue with the next server, and at the end
>> of the process display a nice tidy message indicating which servers
>> failed to connect.
>
> ... does just that, I think?  At least that's what happens when a server
> fails for me.

I think nntp servers are louder than the others. When I hit "g" and the
nntp connection times out, I get a "server closed connection" message,
and the whole update process halts.