Re: Mail source unreachable - continue yes/no?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Mail source unreachable - continue yes/no?
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 11:18:20 -0700

>> `nnmail-get-new-mail' is called from within `gnus-request-scan', and
>> there's no error ignoring around `gnus-request-scan' in
>> `gnus-get-unread-articles' -- is there? I can't see anything. I would
>> propose removing error handling from `nnmail-get-new-mail-1': if the
>> fetching of mail sources well and truly fails (and the user hits "no" to
>> give up on the process), it should just signal an error up the line.
>
> Yes, I think so...  but isn't there error handling in gnus-request-scan?
> I really thought there was...

You mean in `gnus-get-unread-articles', around `gnus-request-scan'? No,
there doesn't seem to be.

In other places where `gnus-request-scan' is called, the code is mostly
working with a single group, in which case you could argue that errors
should just bubble up to the user.

>> I think nntp servers are louder than the others. When I hit "g" and the
>> nntp connection times out, I get a "server closed connection" message,
>> and the whole update process halts.
>
> That sounds like a bug.  :-)  If I push, for instance
>
>       (nntp "localhost")
>
> to gnus-secondary-select-methods and hit g, I get an error message and
> then the server is marked as "denied", but Gnus carries on its merry
> way.  (Same if something times out or I hit `C-g' while it's connecting.)

I've got my nntp server set in `gnus-select-method', maybe that's why?
This has annoyed me off and on for years but I've never taken the time
to look into it. My other servers are all localhost nnimap and I never
see errors there. I just set debug-on-message appropriately, and will
figure out exactly where things are going off.