info-sather

Re: Translation needed

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: Translation needed
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 10:12:12 +0200

On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 11:57:02AM +0930, Michael Talbot-Wilson wrote:
> Just now the two main reasons to prefer version 1.2 over 1.3 are
>
> (1) the speed of the development cycle, given the compile times for
> 1.3.

Nothing to argue about here...

> (2) the excellent documentation available for 1.2 in the form of
> "Sather 1.1" by Stoutamire and Omohundro, and "A Language Manual for
> Sather 1.1" by Gomes, Stoutamire, Vaysman and Klawitter.  Granted the
> latter has some errors.

Those documents are fit for 1.3 just as well. Maybe a few examples and some
special points about builtin classes etc. will have to
be adjusted but that should be all. The documents are about the language only.
The *language* changes between *distribution* 1.2 and 1.3 are minimal. That's
why
Keith always talks about GNU-Sather 1.3 implementing the Sather language Specs
1.1. What has changed is the library, and that has never been documented at all
before. (Except for documentation in the source files themselves, but even that
was not as much as it should have been...)

> Have you considered PostScript diffs for the above docs?

In case you are talking about the documentation available at ftp.gnu.org: I'm
not sure, whether diffs would help much: The postscript files are machine
generated and in my own experience that will mean that a diff will grow
extremely fast even if the change in the source is minimal. Also, the
differences between versions are usually either tiny (typos etc) so one would
not even worry about downloading the new version. Or they are very large scale,
so a diff would not be of any worth. You can't compare that to different
software releases.

Ciao,
Nobbi

--