jami

Re: [Ring] How to close/minimize Ring on Android?

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: [Ring] How to close/minimize Ring on Android?
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 12:04:10 -0500 (EST)

Hi Anna,

----- Original Message -----

There's not a single way to describe how to verify if Ring is running on your
Android device, but typically it would always be running after you started it
manually (or at startup, as can be configured in the settings), so long as it
doesn't get put to sleep by Android for energy saving[0]. Even if you "close"
the app in the multi-task view by swiping it off the screen, it will still run
in the background and should be able to receive messages or calls.

On my device, I can check that Ring is indeed running by checking which apps
are using memory by visiting the following menus:

Settings -> Memory -> Memory used by apps, and there it gives me a rough idea
of what is running (although it's not in real time...).

This will vary on your particular device and Android version.

Hope that helps!

Maxim

[0]  To prevent this, there is usually a way to whitelist which apps shouldn't
be put to sleep by the Android power saving features. On my particular device
it can be set by visiting Settings -> Power -> Battery usage. There, you can
click on Ring, then on "Battery optimization" and select "Don't optimize". The
exact way to do this will again depend on your exact device and Android flavor.