jami

Re: Jami on Raspberry Pi

From: Ivan Ivanov
Subject: Re: Jami on Raspberry Pi
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2020 05:22:59 +0300

Software freedom status of RPi and other "SBC" (single board computer)
devices is well explained on Free Software Foundation page:
https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers

Single-board computers with fatal flaws

Boards in these categories either require nonfree software to even
boot, or enforce signature checks on their bootloader to prevent
replacement with free software.

Boards based on the Broadcom VideoCore 4 family, such as the Raspberry
Pi, require nonfree software to startup, although signature checks are
not enforced. A free proof-of-concept replacement firmware has been
developed, but it is not in a usable state, and development has
halted. Until the nonfree startup program is fully freed, these boards
are useless in the free world.

By default, the GPU requires a blob running in this same startup
firmware. However, Broadcom also supplies an "experimental" free
software stack, which could run without blobs, if the startup firmware
were free.

The startup program also implements accelerated video decoding,
primarily using highly optimized proprietary code as well as some
dedicated video decoding hardware blocks. There are intentional
restrictions, apparently due to software patents, blocking the use of
this code without a license key (a form of DRM). Nevertheless, video
decoding can be done with free software on the CPU, with a performance
and power cost.

There is an additional concern for the Raspberry Pi Camera Module,
produced specifically for use with the Raspberry Pi. In order to
access the Camera Module, it requires the use of a binary-only driver
on the Raspberry Pi. This driver refuses to work unless authentication
of an ATSHA204A chip present on the camera board succeeds. This is a
crypto chip capable of solving challenge-response requests using a
captive secret key within it, essentially it is used to prevent
hardware cloning and confirm that the camera board was not
manufactured by a third party. In other words, it is a form of
hardware DRM. If necessary, you can use a USB webcam supported by free
software instead.