jami

Public TURN servers. Why Jami? (was: communication issues + What does th

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Public TURN servers. Why Jami? (was: communication issues + What does the STUN switch do?)
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 17:16:24 +0300

Сергей Петров <address@hidden> wrote:
> ср, 20 мая 2020 г. в 23:37, Dmitry Alexandrov <address@hidden>:
>> Сергей Петров <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Me and my friend are trying to use Jami for communication and often have
>>> issues. Sometimes we can’t exchange pictures, sometimes even text messages
>>> not works. Video call succeeded only once and without sound on windows
>>> side. Usually timed out.
>>>
>>> I use windows client, my friend use android. We a both behind NAT.
>>
>> Looks like turn.jami.net does not provide you a good service.  Try another
>> relay, if you have one at hand.
>
> Will try to find public TURN server and continue my experiments.

If by ‘public’ you mean gratis (free as in ‘free beer’), Iʼm afraid, there is
not much of them.  https://numb.viagenie.ca might be the only one, that is
worth trying in hope of improving experience.

>> If anyone casts a rare glance at what is going on here, thatʼs rather not a
>> member of Jami team but some passers-by like me, who regards Jami as another
>> obscure nonstandard communication network, that is of course better than,
>> say, Skype by being freedom-friendly, but better be not advertised much
>> nevertheless.

Iʼm not feeling at ease to develop our dialogue in this direction in this list,
but what exactly have motivated you and your friend to experiment with Jami,
instead of sticking with a standard, i. e. SIP-based, solution?