jami

Re: Public TURN servers. Why Jami?

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: Public TURN servers. Why Jami?
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 08:36:50 -0400

Сергей Петров <address@hidden> writes:

> I have found lists of public STUN servers (
> https://gist.github.com/mondain/b0ec1cf5f60ae726202e  and
> https://gist.github.com/sagivo/3a4b2f2c7ac6e1b5267c2f1f59ac6c6b), but only
> a few TURN's. It seems a bit strange.

With STUN, you basically send a small number of packets at call setup to
find out your public address.  With TURN, the server forwards media
packets, which is a lot more traffic.  So it makes sense that people
would be willing to offer STUN but not TURN.

What I find surprising is that clients that can be configured for STUN
and TURN do not seem to record if they work or not and present that to
the user.  (I haven't checked jami lately, but linphone at least makes
it hard to figure out, perhaps needing to turn on debug logging.)