jami

jami iOS version and GPL

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: jami iOS version and GPL
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 11:23:00 -0400

I looked at the download page (because of a previous message) and was
surprised to see an iOS link, because I had the impression Jami was GPL
rather than some permissive license.  I looked at the repo and sure
enough GPL3.

As I understand Apple's app store terms, users who receive software have
to agree to not distribute it all, let alone modify it, and this is
incompatible with the GPL.

I looked at CONTRIBUTING, and there's no CLA (yay!) so this seems to be
the usual inbound=outbound (yay again!).   So there are likely many
copyright holders, rather than SFL being the sole holder, and all of
them would need to consent to dual licensing.

So I wonder if someone could explain how this works.  Do app store users
who receive an ios binary have the legal right to resdistribute it?  Are
they prevented from doing so by technical means?

Is there some proprietary dual licensing scheme happening?

Thanks,
Greg