Re: Fiasco and linux22 -- RMGR: overlapping modules problem

From: Niels Möller
Subject: Re: Fiasco and linux22 -- RMGR: overlapping modules problem
Date: 22 Mar 2002 21:37:34 +0100

Ian Duggan <address@hidden> writes:

> When a normal program is linked, is it linked with absolute addresses as
> well? And when it is loaded, it is relocated to the right address?

On unix, the traditional way of doing it is to load each process at
address zero (or possible some other small fixed address, I don't
quite remember). So the code need not be relocated at all when loaded.

Use of shared libraries (at least ELF-style shared libraries) makes
some relocation-like work needed, but if the libraries are compiled as
position independent code (as is usual for dynamically loaded
libraries), the relocation modifies only jump tables and stuff, not
the actual code of the library.

I recommend the book Linkers & Loaders, by Levine.

/Niels