Re: Fiasco and linux22 -- RMGR: overlapping modules problem

From: Gernot Heiser
Subject: Re: Fiasco and linux22 -- RMGR: overlapping modules problem
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:44:27 +1100 (EST)

Doesn't really belong into this list, but I thought I'd just rectify
some misconception:

kM> [ ... ]

kM> Basically. Programs would obviously all have to be
kM> position independent in a single address space
kM> operating system e.g. Mungi or Opal or when running on
kM> hardware that doesn't have a proper MMU e.g. uC-Linux.

You don't need position-independent code in a SASOS, not even for
dynamic linking (which means less overhead than in a Unix system). See
Deller and Heiser, Linking Programs in a Single Address Space, USENIX
'99.

Gernot
--
Gernot Heiser               ,--_|\   School of Computer Sci. & Engin.
Phone: +61 2 9385 5156     /      \  The University of NSW