Re: Fluke

From: Neal H. Walfield
Subject: Re: Fluke
Date: 29 May 2002 11:19:08 +0200

> I am just an interested spectator but I thought that
> the L4 hurd porting effort undertaken so far had already
> identified that a "kernel abstraction layer" (my words)
> was required so that the Hurd could be ported to other
> kernels more easily.

Could you point me to a URL?

>       Or am I missing the point?  By "L4 architecture"
> do you mean something more/other than "L4 kernel"?

I meant nothing more than the L4 kernel interfaces.  Currently, the
Hurd depends on a variety of Mach features, especially Mach ports; L4
has no conception of ports--messages are sent directly to threads etc.

> I only write this out of concern that unilateral efforts
> to port the Hurd to L4 will be undertaken.

I do not understand why you have this concern: I sent this message to
a public mailing list, if others want to get involved, I am not
stopping them.