Re: Fluke

From: Niels Möller
Subject: Re: Fluke
Date: 30 May 2002 13:55:49 +0200

Roland McGrath <address@hidden> writes:

> > Next week, I will be joining the L4 team at Karlsruhe for the summer.
> > The plan is to try to port the Hurd to the L4 architecture.
>
> That's fabulous!

Yeah, the most interesting Hurd news I've seen in a while ;-) Happy
hacking, Neal!

> > My initial impression is that this will mostly consist of finding the
> > appropriate IPC primitives, i.e. layering a subset of the Mach IPC API
> > onto L4.
>
> I wouldn't expect (or want) a subset of the Mach API literally speaking.
> But yes, dealing with IPC issues is one of the biggest chunks of work and
> one that is necessary for anything else to start working at all.

If a recall previous discussions correctly, the primary IPC-related
issues are (i) port-rights, and (ii) no-senders notifications.

> One thing that I did work on at Utah was layering on top of Fluke
> IPC a higher-level object/RPC interface with semantics based on the
> Hurd's libports and the subset of Mach IPC semantics that are
> essential to the Hurd design.

I take it the source and docs for libports is the closest thing to a
spec for the Hurd's IPC needs?

Regards,
/Niels