Re: The auth interface on L4-Hurd

From: Niels Möller
Subject: Re: The auth interface on L4-Hurd
Date: 05 Aug 2002 02:01:49 +0200

Wolfgang Jährling <address@hidden> writes:

> I think I was wrong here.  But what we _will_ need is an RPC from auth
> to the user to make sure the handle we got from the server is ok.

I think this is a feature that is desirable anyway. I.e. being able to
ask "is this a valid handle?" and get a correct answer in a
reasonably robust way.

I'm thinking of a "handle" to a "port" as a pair of <thread-id,
port-id> where the "port-id" is chosen by, and interpreted by, the
receiving thread. Perhaps something like an "alive-p"-message that
every "port" must answer in a timely manner, where the answer "no"
would be analogous to EBADF, and lack of a timely answer would be
analogous to EGRATIOUS.

It would be nice to be able to think about these handles as simply an
implementation of Mach port rights on top of L4, but perhaps that is
to ask too much.

/Niels