Re: reuse of task IDs

From: Espen Skoglund
Subject: Re: reuse of task IDs
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 20:41:09 +0200

[Marcus Brinkmann]
> There are many other similar races: How does a server guarantee that
> it is getting the RPC from the iedntical task which got the send
> right?  How, in a handle transaction, does B guarantee it is using
> the same server that A used?  Every protocol involving two threads
> and RPCs from one thread to another has to deal with this issue of
> reused thread and task ids.  And I am not happy.

Just as a note: the reason for introducing the version part in thread
IDs was exactly to overcome situations like this, i.e., to identify
that one is communicating with or operating on the expected thread.

If dealing with situations like this without making use of the version
part proves too problematic or inefficient you might want to
reconsider the scheme of mapping task IDs onto version numbers?

        eSk