Re: reuse of task IDs

From: Peter 'p2' De Schrijver
Subject: Re: reuse of task IDs
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 21:56:35 +0200

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 08:32:52PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 07:49:43PM +0200, Peter 'p2' De Schrijver wrote:
> > Marcus,
> >
> > Wouldn't it be much easier if L4 supported the session concept ? I mean L4
> > actually knows when a thread dies and it could invalidate all sessions with
> > this thread...
>
> What is a session?
>
> If you mean that L4 should support some form of ports, well, then I'd think
> that the L4 designer will respectfully disagree :)  Their IPC is truly
> minimal, but that is the reason it is so fast.  If you look at my proposal,
> you will see that in the most often used RPCs (simple message with no object
> handles), we can preserve this maximum performance without loss.

A session in this case would be a series of messages which flow between 2
endpoints which cannot change during the session lifetime. If one of them
would die, the session dies. Now, anyway. Another solution would be versioning.
but we already use that field and it's on the small side anyway. We could add
our own version in the message data but that would likely kill very fast IPC
because of the message size.

Thanks,

p2.