[Mig vs Corba] was Re: Hurd on L4

From: Etienne Robillard
Subject: [Mig vs Corba] was Re: Hurd on L4
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 12:52:46 -0400 (EDT)

Hi guys,
> > Marcelo wrote:
> > 3)There are some ideas of Hurd on top of Mach that
> can
> > be subverted by port it to run on top of L4?
>
> Is that a question?  Mach IPC is almost network
> transparent, while L4 IPC is
> highly not.  So I guess that getting RPCs over a
> network will be a tad more
> difficult on L4 to get right.  There are other
> things like that, but nothing
> fundamental.

Maybe the IDL4 compiler (corba) is friendlier with L4
IPC primitives/and pthreads comparing to the Mach
interface generator (stub).  Further, it might be less
painful to add a corba extension (in hurd/io.defs ?) -
rather than to try porting Mach RPCs to L4... What do
you think ?

You may take look at this thread on google :
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-hurd/2001-03/msg00000.html

Andreas Haeberlen thesis :
http://i30www.ira.uka.de/teaching/thesisdocuments/haeberlen_study_idl4opt.pdf

about stub-code advancements :