Re: [Mig vs Corba] was Re: Hurd on L4

From: Ronald Aigner
Subject: Re: [Mig vs Corba] was Re: Hurd on L4
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 08:48:02 +0200

On Tuesday 13 May 2003 18:52, Etienne Robillard wrote:
> > Is that a question?  Mach IPC is almost network
> > transparent, while L4 IPC is
> > highly not.  So I guess that getting RPCs over a
> > network will be a tad more
> > difficult on L4 to get right.  There are other
> > things like that, but nothing
> > fundamental.
>
> Maybe the IDL4 compiler (corba) is friendlier with L4
> IPC primitives/and pthreads comparing to the Mach
> interface generator (stub).  Further, it might be less
> painful to add a corba extension (in hurd/io.defs ?) -
> rather than to try porting Mach RPCs to L4... What do
> you think ?
In Dresden a student wrote a diploma (masters thesis) about network
transparent IPC on top of L4 (it's in german though).
http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/project/finished/finished.xml
http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/papers_ps/lehmann-diplom.pdf
It's a start, but surely can be imporved.

Greetings, Ron.
--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen/With regards
ra3 @ os.inf.tu-dresden.de