Re: Task server

From: Johan Rydberg
Subject: Re: Task server
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 20:22:03 +0200

Bas Wijnen <address@hidden> wrote:

: For the capability server, there are several object classes:
: - thread creation.  Probably needs one object only.
: - thread control.  One object per thread.
: - termination notify.  One object per thread.

I don't have a clue about this, really, but isn't there a need for an object
per notification?

: The task server cannot start these threads the "normal" way, because that
: would mean sending a request to the task server (which isn't operational yet.)
: This is not a big problem, it can just start its threads directly, just like
: it does for other tasks.

Your regular bootstrap problem.

There is two possible solutions to this problem, as I see it:

 1) Wortel provides the task server  with a set of threads it can use.
    Much like wortel provides physmem with a set of initial threads.

 2) When the task server is initially started it knows for a fact that
    1) no other threads will be created without consulting the server,
    2) its own thread number and 3) the thread numbers of physmem and
    wortel (the only other tasks running at this point.)

    From this information it should be able to create the initial threads
    it need to get the system running.

Judging from Marcus' latest revision of wortel, he has decided to go with
option 2.

These are just guesses, of course.

~j