Re: Task server

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Task server
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 00:50:48 +0200

At Tue, 6 Jul 2004 20:22:03 +0200,
Johan Rydberg wrote:
>  1) Wortel provides the task server  with a set of threads it can use.
>     Much like wortel provides physmem with a set of initial threads.
>

>  2) When the task server is initially started it knows for a fact that
>     1) no other threads will be created without consulting the server,
>     2) its own thread number and 3) the thread numbers of physmem and
>     wortel (the only other tasks running at this point.)
>
>     From this information it should be able to create the initial threads
>     it need to get the system running.
>
> Judging from Marcus' latest revision of wortel, he has decided to go with
> option 2.

I don't recall right now.  Option 1 makes sense if more than one
thread is needed in the task server until the messages between task
and wortel that negotiate the thread number space (which thread
numbers are available, which are used in physmem etc) have been
exchanged.  Or this info could be passed on the command line or in the
bootstrap info.  I definitely don't want to hard code them in the binary.

Marcus